Review: Burned by Karen Marie Moning


Title: Burned
Author: Karen Marie Moning
Series: Fever, #7
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: January 20, 2015
Pages: 475
Rating:

It’s easy to walk away from lies. Power is another thing.

MacKayla Lane would do anything to save the home she loves. A gifted sidhe-seer, she’s already fought and defeated the deadly Sinsar Dubh—an ancient book of terrible evil—yet its hold on her has never been stronger.

When the wall that protected humans from the seductive, insatiable Fae was destroyed on Halloween, long-imprisoned immortals ravaged the planet. Now Dublin is a war zone with factions battling for control. As the city heats up and the ice left by the Hoar Frost King melts, tempers flare, passions run red-hot, and dangerous lines get crossed. 

Seelie and Unseelie vie for power against nine ancient immortals who have governed Dublin for millennia; a rival band of sidhe-seers invades the city, determined to claim it for their own; Mac’s former protégé and best friend, Dani “Mega” O’Malley, is now her fierce enemy; and even more urgent, Highland druid Christian MacKeltar has been captured by the Crimson Hag and is being driven deeper into Unseelie madness with each passing day. The only one Mac can depend on is the powerful, dangerous immortal Jericho Barrons, but even their fiery bond is tested by betrayal.

It’s a world where staying alive is a constant struggle, the line between good and evil gets blurred, and every alliance comes at a price. In an epic battle against dark forces, Mac must decide who she can trust, and what her survival is ultimately worth.

I better get rolling on my review before it never gets written and while the book is still in my mind. BURNED took how many freaking years to write, two years or something and my most anticipated book turned out to be such a disappointment. Don't get me wrong it was still good, semi-halfway decent, but really?! This is the turnout of the book I was waiting so long for? I am so not impressed! I think my thing was compared to Fever books #1-5, this book was so different compared to those, that my expectations were so high. But it wasn't that bad. Let's just say it was half and half good and bad.

First of all when I first heard this book was going to half a dual Mac and Dani POV I was very excited, and also as well as Muliple POV's of different characters. We had Dani, Lor, Unseelie King, Christian, Kat. Either you know how to make the Multiple POV the fit or you don't. And obviously KMM didn't. It didn't work in her favor. The book seemed all over the place, with so much going on that it didn't not work at all and the book suffered because of it. Mac POV is the majority we get. And I have to say I probably wouldn't be able to get through the book if not for her. I love things from her perspective and it saved the book. Even with Mac being the center fold in this book, it still felt like it was all over the place and was a big huge mess with the POV's. And Dani? Really, KMM? How the hell can you say that the primary perspectives are that of Mac and Dani. Dani is basically in the first chapter and that's it.

The part of the book that really saved it all for me, was the second half, it was pretty awesome because you really get an inside look into Ryodan, Barrons, Lor and the inner working of Chesters and get to catch some conversation between the three which we probably never would've got. I mean, that is what I freaking live for. Learning more about the Nine. Please, KMM, keep writing more inside looks into the Nine. I need to know more about this mysterious group. And as a Mac and Barrons fan, I am disappointed with the so little interaction between the two. Out of the whole book, they had a few conversations. What the hell? Their whole Mac and Barrons dynamic that I loved in the Fever Series just disappeared. I just expected since they are finally together, we would get more, not less.

I suddenly can't find enough oxygen in Ryodan's office to breathe. My hand flies to my mouth as I stare, staggered..... 

And oh.my.fucking.god. Please do not even get me started on that shit ass excuse for a cliffhanger. Really? You're gonna end it there? I know the next book is said to be out October of 2015, but come on. Do you honestly believe it will be out this year. Based on KMM, actions it could be out in the next two to three years. Who knows. With BURNED we were left with more questions than answers and incompleteness. At this point I don't even want to associate these spin off Fever books with my previous Epic Original Fever Series, but I have been nothing but disappointed thus far. I am begging. Please do not screw up Book #8! But me being me, I do have hope for the next book, even though this feels so different from the original fever series, I am open-minded for it being different and am excited to read more!



No comments :

Post a Comment